Hotel close to the medieval city
Classified sites of UNESCO
Carcassonne has got 2 sites belonging of the UNESCO World Heritage: the medieval city and the “canal du midi”. Your stay in Hotel des Trois Couronnes is the perfect place to discover this exceptional heritage.
The Medieval City
Perfectly preserved and restored, this tremendous medieval city unique in Europe, raises itself in front of our 4 stars hotel, overhanging the Aude River. Very easy to get into the old city: 10mns walking, after the old bridge, you will be in the heart of the fortress.
Encircled with two rows of ramparts, with many towers, you will find inside the Comtal Castle ( former bishop’s houseof Carcassonne) and the Saint Nazaire basilica. Bring back to life 2 500 years of History and search for the Crusades Old Time.
Open all year long, the city is accessible by car, walking or the little touristic train which comes along the hotel. July 14th, the old city is the theatre of an exceptional firework. Our hotel location with its panoramic view is ideal to attend to this large- scale event.
The Canal du Midi
Pierre Paul Riquet’s XVIII ‘ work ; Canal du Midi is one of he oldest canal in Europe. It connects the Garonne river to the Mediterranean sea (240km). From the port of Trèbes, you can embark for a cruise on this classified work of the UNESCO World Heritage (1996). From locks to aqueducts, discover this major site in Languedoc.
The navigation on the canal is possible from mid march to November.Tourism in Carcassonne
Theatre and concerts
Hotel des Trois Couronnes is next to the Concert hall “le Dome”, welcoming a lot of artists during the year.
Theatre Jean Alary is very near too: live music, classical music, opera, dance, circus…. To take full advantage of your show, choose to stay in our 4 stars hotel.
In the area…
“Must see” around Carcassonne:
- Huge abyss of Cabrespine (26km), one of the biggest cave in the world open to tourists.
- Lagrasse (36km) in the Corbières, one of the prettiest village in france.
- Narbonne (64km), Art and History City: “ Voie domitienne”, Saint Just Cathedral, Palace of the arbishops...
- Toulouse (90km) Art and History city: Capitole Place, Saint Sernin Basilica, convent of the Jacobins…
- Albi (109km): belongs to the UNESCO World Heritage: Palace of Berbie, Toulouse Lautrec Museum, Saint Cécile Cathedral …
- Collioure (150km) Little Catalan port, along the Mediterranean sea close to Spain. A lot of artists have been inspired there: Derain, Matisse…
Sports and Leisure Activities
- Hiking in the black mountains, GR36 ( Bastide saint Louis/ Cavayere lake). GR 78( Way to Saint Jacques of Compostelle)
- Biking along the “Canal du Midi”
- Kayaking in the Aude Gorges
- Beaches of the Mediterranean sea.
- A 18 hole Golf course in Carcassonne
- African wildlife Park of sigean
- Wildlife Park of “ Les Angles”
Some dates to remember:
- June 19th til august 1st 2014: festival of Carcassonne: theatre, Circus, Classic Opera, dance, Live music.
- July 14th : Fireworks and blaze of the Medieval city.
- End of august, beginning of September: Feria of Carcassonne
- January , march: Carnival of Limoux “ The longest Carnival in the World”
- April 12th- 13th “Toques et Clochers”, organized event by Sieur d’Arques wine makers close to Limoux. Wine tastings, animations, auction sale
- July 22th 2014: 16th stage of the “Tour de France”, Carcassonne- Bagnères de Luchon.
Abbeys and Cathar Castles
Explore the Cathar country! Castles, abbeys and museums testify of a rich History. Don’t miss particularly the castles that we used to call “the 5 sons of Carcassonne”, real fortresses built on vertiginous spurs:
- Castle of Termes (57km)
- Castle of Puilaurens (73km)
- Castle of Aguilar (78km)
- Castle of Peyrepetuse (77km)
- Castle of Queribus (96km)
Close to Carcassonne you can visit the 4 castles of Lastours (19km), the medieval village and the belvedere of Montfermier.
Abbeys also represent a strong symbol or our region. We recommend you to visit:
- Abbey of Saint Hilaire (18km)
- Abbey of Alet (34km)
- Abbey of Lagrasse (35km)
- Abbey of Saint Papoul (35km)
- Abbey of Caunes Minervois (23km)
- Abbey of Fontfroide (64km)
To understand everything about catharism and this animated period of History, which strongly marked the region, Rendez vous to the museum of catharism situated in Mazamet (49km).Aude Cathar Country
Vineyards and gastronomy
The Aude area is an archetypal winemaking ground. Do not hesitate to visit vineyards and domains cellars. You will discover so many different wines: Blanquette of Limoux, Cremant of the Limouxin, Corbières wines, fitou wines or Cabardès wines… Winemakers will welcome you in their cellars : wine tastings, sales, they will be here for you.
On a gastronomic side, cassoulet is far away the star of the region. From Castelnaudary to Carcassonne, 180km of gourmet road will bring you to meet producers, pottery, restaurants.The Wine Road The Road of the « Cassoulet »